Chinese Revolutionary Gold Bond
- l The shown paper note, 79(L) x 194 (W) mm, was a bond issued by Dr.Sun
Yat-Sen and the revolutionary party he chaired in San Francisco during
1909, i.e. the first year of Huang Tung reign of Ching Dynasty.
- Dr.Sun was the founder of the Republic of China. With respect to
establish such new country, he started his revolutionary career in
overthrowing the reign of Ching since 1894. Then thereafter he and his
followers had failed 10 times in military actions, many revolutionary were
killed or caught to be executed by then government until October 1911.
- Their 11th trial successfully gave the Manchurian government a fatal strike,
and gave birth to the Republic of China.
- Dr.Sun and the revolutionary led their lives like desperadoes in China,
most of the domestic financial aids were cut off. As to keep revolutionary
campaigns proceeded, they constantly went abroad to seek for help from
- The shown bond in 10 dollars was one of the bonds they issued for
collecting revolution fund in San Francisco. In this issuance, in addition
to the 10-dollar bond, there were some in 100 and 1,000 dollars, anyone
funding 1, 10, 100 US dollars would be granted the three bonds,
respectively, and would be paid in Chinese currency at the day when the
Republic of China was founded.
- As a matter of fact, most of the bonds were not paid at the day as above
promised, until 26 years later, i.e. 1937.
Chinese Coinage Web Site